SSRN // ResearchGate // Google Scholar
ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
CHAPTERS IN EDITED VOLUMES:
ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Matson, Erik W. “Economics and the Moral Theology of Mutual Benefits: Hutcheson, Hume, and Smith.” Journal of Markets & Morality (forthcoming).
- Matson, Erik W. “The Edifying Discourses of Adam Smith: Focalism, Commerce, and Serving the Common Good.” Journal of the History of Economic Thought (published online; forthcoming in press). Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2023. “Commerce as Cooperation with the Deity: Self-Love, the Common Good, and the Coherence of Francis Hutcheson.” European Journal for the History of Economic Thought (published online; forthcoming in press). Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2023. “Ethical Economics or Economical Ethics? Considerations out of Carl Menger.” Review of Austrian Economics 36: 311-330. Link.
- Ballor, Jordan J., and Erik W. Matson. 2023. “Religion, the Scottish Enlightenment, and the Rise of Liberalism: Symposium Introduction.” Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology. 41(A), 3-9 Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2022. “Our Dynamic Being Within: Smithian Challenges to the New Paternalism.” Journal of Economic Methodology. 29(4): 309-325. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2022. “What is Liberal about Adam Smith’s ‘Liberal Plan’?” Southern Economic Journal. 89(2): 593-610. Link.
- Matson, Erik W., and Daniel B. Klein. 2022. “Convention without Convening.” Constitutional Political Economy. 33(1): 1-24. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2021. “God, Commerce, and Adam Smith through the Editions of The Theory of Moral Sentiments.” Journal of Markets & Morality. 24(2): 269-288. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. and Malte Dold. 2021. “The Behavioral Welfare Economist in Society: Considerations from David Hume.” Review of Behavioral Economics 8 (3-4): 239-258. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2021. “David Hume, Economic Rationality, and Policy: Symposium Introduction,” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 183: 833-835. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2021. “Satisfaction in Action: Hume’s Endogenous Theory of Preferences and the Virtues of Commerce.” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 183: 849-860. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2021. “A Dialectical Reading of Adam Smith on Wealth and Happiness.” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 184: 826-836. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2019. “Reason and Political Economy in Hume.” Erasmus Journal for Philosophy and Economics 12(1): 26-51. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2019. “Adam Smith’s Humean Attitude Towards Science; Illustrated by ‘The History of Astronomy’.” The Adam Smith Review 11: 265-280. Link.
- Matson, Erik W., Klein, Daniel B., and Colin Doran. 2019. “Hume and Smith on Utility, Agreeableness, Propriety, and Moral Approval,” History of European Ideas 54(5): 675-704. Link.
- Klein, Daniel B., Matson, Erik W., and Colin Doran. 2018. “The Man within the Breast, the Supreme Impartial Spectator, and Other Impartial Spectators in Adam Smith’s The Theory of Moral Sentiments.” History of European Ideas 44(8): 1153-1168. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2017. “The Dual Account of Reason and the Spirit of Philosophy in Hume’s Treatise.” Hume Studies 43(2), 29-56. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. and Colin Doran. 2017. “The Elevated Imagination: Contemplation and Action in David Hume and Adam Smith.” The Journal of Scottish Philosophy, 15(1): 27-45. Coauthored with Colin Doran. Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2017. “The Sympathetic Formation of Reason and the Limits of Science,” Society, 54(3):246-252. Link.
CHAPTERS IN EDITED VOLUMES:
- Matson, Erik W. “‘To Keep Industry Alive’: Hume on Freer International Trade as Moral Improvement.” In British International Thought in the Making, eds. B. Bourcier and M. Jakonen (Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming). Link.
- Matson, Erik W. 2022. “Butler and Smith’s Ethical and Theological Framing of Commerce.” In Adam Smith, Theology, and Morality, eds. J. Ballor and C. van der Kooi. London: Routledge, pp. 189-213. Link.
- Klein, Daniel B. and Erik W. Matson. 2020. “Mere-Liberty in David Hume.” In A Companion to David Hume, ed. Moris Polanco. Guatemala City: Universidad Francisco Marroquin: 125-160. Coauthored with Daniel B. Klein. Link.
- 2022. A review of Margaret Schabas and Carl Wennerlind, A Philosopher’s Economist: Hume and the Rise of Capitalism (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2020). Hume Studies 47(1), 161-166. Link.
- 2020. A review of Our Great Purpose. Adam Smith on Living a Better Life by Ryan Patrick Hanley. The Independent Review, 25(1). Link.
- 2018. “Hayek on the Liberty of Knowledge.” [A review of of F.A. Hayek: Economics, Political Economy, and Social Philosophy by Peter J. Boettke.] The University Bookman. Link.
- 2017. A review of The Infidel and the Professor: David Hume, Adam Smith, and the Friendship that Shaped Modern Thought by Dennis C. Rasmussen. Published in The Review of Austrian Economics. Link.
- 2016. A review of Liberty and Equality in Political Economy: From Locke versus Rousseau to the Present by Nicholas Capaldi and Gordon Lloyd. Published in The Review of Austrian Economics. Link.
- March 15, 2023. "Why Adam Smith's 'Liberal Plan' Still Matters." Discourse. Link.
- January 16, 2023. "Adam Smith's Benevolence Puzzle," National Review. Coauthored with Dan Klein. Link.
- November 23, 2022. “Adam Smith’s Space Odyssey,” Adam Smith Works. Link.
- September 27, 2022. "The Surprising Relationship between Economics and Theology," National Review. Link.
- June 22, 2022. “Adam Smith’s Synergistic Moral Authorizations,” Adam Smith Works. Link. Republished at AIER. Link.
- April 27, 2022. “Nature, Convention, & Natural Convention,” Adam Smith Works. Coauthored with Dan Klein. Link.
- March 23, 2022. “What’s Natural About Adam Smith’s Natural Liberty?”, Adam Smith Works. Coauthored with Dan Klein. Link. Republished at Voegelin View. Link.
- March 2, 2022. “Francis Hutcheson: Property as a Way to Virtue,” Adam Smith Works. Link.
- November 18, 2021. “Doing Good Through Honest Commerce: Adam Smith and Joseph Butler,” Adam Smith Works. Link.
- October 11, 2021. “Adam Smith and the Problems with the New Paternalism,” Institute for Economic Affairs (blog). Link. Republished at AIER. Link.
- December 7, 2020. “Adam Smith on Capitalism and the Common Good,” featured article at EconLib. Link.
- December 4, 2020. “A Brief History of the Editions of the Theory of Moral Sentiments,” Adam Smith Works. Part 1, part 2.
- May 13, 2020. “Perspectives from Smith on Wealth and Happiness,” Adam Smith Works. Link.